Thursday, March 16, 2017

Former Essendon James Hird breaks silence on overdose: ‘I reached breaking point’

JAMES Hird reached breaking point when he took an overdose of sleeping pills, saying he was in deep clinical depression.

The former Essendon star AFL player and coach has commented publicly for the first time since he was taken to hospital in January.

Hird spent five weeks in a mental health facility and he said it was life-changing.

“Everyone has a breaking point and I reached mine after years of continual stress,” he said in his first column for the Herald Sun.

“I am not ashamed to say that I needed the care I received and, without it, I do not know where I would be. Depression is more than just sadness.”

Hird’s overdose came after his central involvement over the previous five years in the Essendon supplements debacle.

The Essendon great said he would rather go through the horrific facial injuries he suffered during a 2002 match than the deep clinical depression again.

Source: Former Essendon coach James Hird breaks silence on overdose: ‘I reached breaking point’ | Perth Now


No comments:

Post a Comment