Thursday, June 15, 2017

Adam Harvey, shot in neck while covering battle for Marawi in Philippines

ABC South-East Asia correspondent Adam Harvey has described the moment he was shot while on assignment in the Philippines as like being hit in the “neck with a cricket ball”.

Key points:

  • Correspondent says he was shot in “what was considered a safe zone”
  • Hospital “came under attack” as he had tests
  • People fleeing besieged Marawi City say they have seen hundreds of dead bodies

Harvey, who has been covering the battle between the Philippines military and Islamic State (IS) militants in Marawi, received medical treatment after being struck in the neck by a bullet.

The Jakarta-based correspondent said he had been on the frontline of the conflict wearing a flack jacket and helmet this morning before being moved back to “what was considered a safe zone”, where he was shot.

“I was bending down — we stopped and I opened the back door of the car to get some food and water and I felt an almighty stabbing at the side of my neck and I went down on the ground and I thought I’d been hit by a bit of shrapnel,” he told PM.

“I started bleeding and luckily we had our ABC first aid kit, so we started doing some first aid.

Source: Adam Harvey, ABC correspondent, shot in neck while covering battle for Marawi in Philippines – ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)


No comments:

Post a Comment