Saturday, July 29, 2017

Emily Seebohm breaks Australian gold drought at world swimming championships

Australia’s gold drought is finally over at the world swimming championships in Budapest after Emily Seebohm set a new national record to defend her 200m backstroke crown.

On the penultimate night of the eight-day titles, Seebohm, 25, clocked two minutes, 05.68 seconds to hold out local hope Katinka Hosszu with American Kathleen Baker third.

Australia’s Kaylee McKeown – just 16 years old – set a new junior world record (2:05.85) to finish fourth on debut.

It capped a remarkable comeback for Seebohm, who considered walking away from the sport after health issues sabotaged her Rio Olympic campaign.

“I am just amazed at what I have been able to achieve tonight,” said Seebohm.

“But if I had won or lost tonight I would have been so proud of my performances and what I have overcome.”

It was also an enormous relief to an Australian team that had been running out of time to finally register gold…

Source: Emily Seebohm breaks Australian gold drought at world swimming championships


No comments:

Post a Comment