Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Tour de France Michael Matthews: DEGENKOLB GRABBED ME BY MY NECK

MICHAEL Matthews is riding the biggest wave of his career after a second Tour de France win in three days put him within striking distance of the green jersey.

The Australian again stalked Greg Van Avermaet in the last 300m of a technical Stage 16 finale, before launching clear to pip Edvald Boasson-Hagen in a photo-finish.

Matthews, who also took the intermediate sprint, hauled in another 50 sprint points to put himself only 29 points behind the green jersey of Marcel Kittel.

SEE BELOW: MATTHEWS IN POST-RACE SCUFFLE

German sprinter John Degenkolb was angered by what he claimed was Matthews changing his line at the finish and denying him the chance to sprint.

Footage emerged showing Degenkolb appearing to strike Matthews as he rode past after the finish.

“I was waiting for the result and he grabbed me on the way past. The officials saw it,” Matthews said.

“We’ll see what the officials will do about it. I don’t think it’s very sportsmanlike.”

Matthews accused German rival John Degenkolb of being a poor sport after his angry reaction to being beaten in a sprint for the line at the end of a windy 16th stage of the Tour de France.

In the sprint to the line Matthews edged out Edvald Boasson Hagen (Dimension Data) and Degenkolb (Trek-Segafredo), who clashed with Matthews as the riders came to a stop, accusing him of veering towards him on the high-speed dash for the line.

Matthews says he sprinted straight, confirms Degenkolb grabbed him by neck after finish line

“He grabbed me by the neck. The officials saw that. I don’t know what they’re going to do about it,” Matthews said.

“It was not very sportsmanlike.” Degenkolb gesticulated at Matthews as the pair crossed the line, appearing to indicate that he felt the Australian had pushed him dangerously close to the barriers.

Matthews disagreed.

“From my perspective I didn’t do anything wrong,” he said.

“I started my sprint and sprinted in a straight line. I don’t know what’s wrong with him, but that’s up to him.

“If I had done anything wrong the race officials would have told me.”

– with AAP

Source: Tour de France 2017: Michael Matthews wins stage | Perth Now


No comments:

Post a Comment