Saturday, November 6, 2010

I am an Idiot to think about Retiring...

I am an Idiot to think about Retiring....

When there so much to do. OK my age says, slow down. My physical is condition is far from perfect, after a stroke and a broken leg [see my post 'In China with Broken Leg'], but siting a front of my Laptop I can do anything, if it doesn't require much movement especially on my feet. Although 'stuck' in China at the moment, I have managed to get back to Perth, Australia every three months for over two years. This has meant 9 trips in an aircraft, from Shenzhen to Perth and 9 trips back again, usually a couple of days later. Some times 'one trip' means two flights with an eight hours wait in Kaula Lumper, both ways. It depends on if I go via Hong Kong, only 25 kilometers away, but so many hassles going over the 'border'. It is OK with immigration, you can virtually walk right through. But that's the problem, you have to walk, about a kilometer and go upstairs & down again in the customs hall on either side. Then you have to repeat it in 20 meters again on the other side of the border! H.K. is still a different country, or so we are told... It takes about 2 to 3 hours depending on the 'local' traffic of Chinese workers that number around a million going backwards and forwards each day.

The easy way out of Shenzhen is via the International airport situated about 40 minutes away from where we live. But the only flights to Australia have a long wait in K.L. It is not the best fun staying in a departure hall for 6 to 8 hours with your suit case and carry on case in a wheelchair. And being one handed as well. But I have done this a number of times, up to 4 times plus the return trip, every year.

 I use the 'LCC Budget Terminal', not the Main KL Terminal,  because of costs.I used to sit in McDonald's for eight hours, because they had the best.....air/cond, [not food!]. But then my good friend Clive told about a V.I.P.Lounge  that had opened on the 'air-side' in the Budget Terminal. The problem with is you can't check into an Australian flight more than 2 hours before. Why? no idea. If it is anywhere else, no problem. But after approaching the Management and telling them about the problems, they said, OK, just 'check in' via the Big/Large Cases and INSIST that you can do this because you are using the VIP lounge. And it worked. You have to pay about $30 'every six hours', but you can get all the food and drink you want and in comfortable surroundings. It is called the Plaza VIP Lounge. I think I used to spend more than $30 while in Maccas....ugh!!!!!

Why to do I have to travel so frequently? Being an Australian citizen and having a disability pension, my Lords & Masters, Centrelink, who give me my pension every two weeks INSIST that I do not go away from Australia for more then three months. They get very upset about it.... This is in spite of saving the Australian government heaps of money by me being 'away'. In fact they get upset with me on anything, saying I HAVE to inform then when I want to ANYTHING.

If I lived in Perth all the time, I would have to live in a nursing home, or get somebody to come and wash me and dress me every day. I could do 'most' things before breaking my leg, but know because of the stroke in that side, it has stopped me from bending it sufficiently to put my shoes & socks on, etc. Also after the break and two operations, my right side is 4 inches shorter. This makes walking without the 'special raised' shoe nearly impossible.

I have Lianny and her family to care and look after me in China. They do this very well and of course very cheaply. But Centrelink insists that I am trying to use a 'loophole' or take advantage of "their" generosity!! In my working past, as a business owner having six furniture stores and also being a commercial pilot, I paid heaps of taxes of various kinds, to the states and the federal governments. Now when I have a pension,  I must accept 'their' rules and live in a nursing home! Even I don't want to...

But this is IF you can find a nursing home with a vacancy! Because when my dieing wife, Geraldine, was terminally ill with M.S. for seven years, I tried for four years to get her admitted to ANY N.H. in Perth. I made repeated phones calls and wrote to so many, I was an embarrassment, but I couldn't find her a place. Because my wife was bed-ridden, I had to turn her over every 2 or 3 hours. She couldn't swallow either, so I had to feed her by a tube thru' her stomach as well. I had no help from anyone. We have a son but he is bloody useless. It took him all his time to phone his mother once week, never mind to visit her.

To make Geraldine happy, I used to send her flowers, and put one the 'message card' they were sent by our son!!! Now he and I do not speak. I think it's because I am disabled and I 'like' all things that are Asian, including the Asian ladies!!

Just before Geraldine died, I had a stroke!! My doctor said, it's not surprising... I spent six months learning how to talk and walk again.

So after all this, the Australian government, through Centrelink, think I have found a loop-hole in the system. They should try the travel 4 times a year, one handed in a wheel-chair...

Now apart from this rant about my pension, I want to tell you about retiring. Everybody tells you, 'when you retire, keep busy.'  This has been no trouble for me. I am now more busy than ever. Even with the stroke, but before breaking my leg, I managed to visit Bali, Malaysia and China for many weeks and months both with friends and on my own. The secret for me, was to find the 'back-packers' hotels online. They can be so cheap, but very comfortable, with hot & cold everything, including if you want air/cond. The average price for a room is about $15 to $20 a night. There are thousands online and I have never been disappointed with the ones I used for some 5 years. Plus using these 'cheap' hotels, you see more of genuine people & country as opposed to staying in the same old 5 star, that is exactly the same as the ones at home.

To be concluded in part two soon;
When I shall talk what keeps me busy now;
Foreign Exchange Trading and Making Money Online




       

No comments:

Post a Comment